All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Sunday, September 21, 2014

mikeyzart and Watts Atelier - setting up.

I was excited to get started with my studies in the Watts Atelier. I have been looking forward to this for quite some time.
As it turns out, I spent most of the weekend rearranging the studio and getting things set up. I intend to get the most out of the studies. Jeff insists on not having the reference at an odd angle, and had several recommendations on how to get the reference in front of me and at a good angle. He is also insistent on a clean, efficient setup, and a relaxed, comfortable posture.
I found the activity of rearranging and getting set up properly to be a delightfully 'zen' process. And it sure has made a difference.
The drawing table setup.
Skulley oversees the operation.
Note the reference holder on top of the board,
and the cork board on the wall.
The painting setup.
Now there's room to move back and forth.
After getting set up, it was time to get the materials together and tuned up.
Before. 
Chicken timer looks on in amazement.
After. Elegant?
Give me time to get into the swing of it.
The Watts Atelier method of sharpening pencils is similar to Juliette's and Tony Ryder's approach, but even so, it's been a while....
I even got wild and tried the method on a Prismacolor pencil, but that pencil didn't like the process too much.
The Wolff's Carbon Pencils were the easiest, and the smoothest.

No comments: