All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Friday, September 10, 2010

More progress on Burn the Ships cover art!

The cover illustration nears completion!
Here it is in the intermediate stages, as I add the various jungle animals and flesh out the composition:


Seriously, I thought "What have I gotten myself into?!?" I had a few moments when I wondered whether or not I had 'painted myself into a corner,' and whether I could pull it all off... I did, after all, make this whole thing up from scratch, off the top of my head - which is a very unusual working method for me. I had to bring a lot of my knowledge and skills from all over the place to execute this painting, and to figure things out while I was in the middle of it.
Fortunately, it all worked out, and I am more and more pleased with it as it progresses.

And here it is as I place final elements, tighten up the environment, and begin final touches:

Burn The Ships WIP 09/08/10
Acrylic on Arches 300 lb. watercolor paper, 20x27"
More to come!

No comments: