All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Color charts - Continuing on...

Starting the new year right.

Continuing with the color charts, I mix a color with each of the other colors in the palette, keeping the first color dominant. I then take this mixture down to almost-white in 5 steps.
I do this for each of the colors in the palette.
Tonight, I finish up the mixtures with Titanium White. When these dry, I will do the same using Zinc White.
When I am done, I will have a comprehensive color chart showing how the colors in my palette interact.
In these simple mixtures, I can already see some beautiful rich neutrals, the purples and gray-greens are just yummy. And there is an inherent color harmony.
And I have been looking at pictures of paintings by artists I admire, and finding that most of the colors in their paintings can be achieved with the limited palette.

No comments: