All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick Painting Study: Sea Turtle.

I've been going CRAZY, I haven't painted in weeks. Work, work, work, and the band has been busy... blah blah blah, excuses excuses!!!
So I got the brushes out and continued with the value scales, which is an important part of my ongoing study and growth... but I just need to paint ... some... THING!
I saw some great photos of sea turtles, and have had the urge to paint them lately. I love the warm, earthy colors of the shell against the turquoise water.
So I figured this would be a perfect subject for a quick painting study.

Acrylic, 8x10, ~45 min.
The main thing I was aiming for is delineating the light vs. dark shapes, and then a bit of color and form within those shapes.
I also wanted to see if I could convey the sense of buoyancy, floating just below the water's surface, while only using large brushes and abstract shapes.
This was fun! I'll do it again!

No comments: