All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Friday, December 30, 2011

Fun with analysis... The Musketeer

A new piece, The Musketeer.
I have the sketch looking how I want it. Now I am using the armatures of 3 canvas sizes, experimenting with the placement of the figure within the picture plane. My computer graphics skills allow me to experiment endlessly, and see how each configuration looks. I am grateful for the opportunities and advantages modern technology offers.

It's interesting to see how each arrangement tells a unique story. For instance, look at how and where the eyes are placed in the following examples... or how on some the chin rests firmly on the diagonals... What is contained in the shapes created by the diagonals? What major outline shapes fall along the diagonals? What happens at the intersection of diagonals? What story does that tell? How does it change the meaning of his expression, gesture, body language? These are the questions I am asking myself as I experiment, move the figure around, make it larger or smaller, etc.

It may be a while before this becomes a finished piece...

15x30"


16x20"

18x24"

No comments: