All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Watts Atelier_Head Phase I_Skull, 3/4 view

Once again, I'm having fun drawing Skulley II.
This assignment is fun, the 3/4 view is a more relaxed view to draw.

Off to a decent start, while Skulley II looks on...
He seems fairly happy...

I started by blocking in big shapes, then working my way smaller and smaller.
Then I bounced back and forth between details and large, general shapes.

Laying in major shapes, and beginning to map shadow shapes.
Then, as I mapped out the shadow shapes, I laid in light areas of tone to separate light from shadow.
In the end, I laid in many areas of different value, still being careful to avoid getting overly caught up in rendering.

Mapping shadows and edges, filling in some tone.

 To finish off, I went back and revisited the linework with 2B and 4B, and strengthed the major overlapping lines.
At the very end I also knocked a couple dark areas back a bit - they were a touch too strong.

Almost there...
 I'm fairly pleased with this exercise, and I know I will come back to it again - and again!
:)
The final study. Skull, 3/4 View,Wolff's Carbon pencil 2B/4B on newsprint.

No comments: