All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Horsin' Around with new paints and brushes!

I knew that I'd need to try the new Jo Sonja paints with canvas to get a real feel for how they work. I gotta admit, they are unlike any acrylic paints I've worked with. It will take some time to get the hang of it, but I'm thinking I'll like them. They have their strengths and their weaknesses, just like any medium. And boy, were they ever right when they said "Once the paint gets tacky, just let it dry." The 'open time' is great, and the consistency is super nice - once you get the hang of how to use them.
Once again, I am working with only Burnt Umber and Warm White. It makes for a nice tonal study painting. 
The major lesson I learned today: Clean your brushes between values!
"Be lean and mean - clean in between!"
04/27/14
This is a good stopping place
for tonight.
I'm posting these in reverse order, with the most recent pic first:
04/27/14
Step 5
04/27/14
Step 4
04/27/14
Step 3
04/27/14
Step 2
04///14
A decent start.
Thanks to Chris Legaspi for his
online critique - "Design your values
for your purposes."







No comments: