All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More from the sketchbooks!

I am  directing my sketchbook time toward gaining more relaxed, confident, and accurate linework;  at the same time I am focusing on letting my thought process become more open and experimental.
To that end, I have been taking time to sketch whenever I get ideas - which is a lot lately.
I have run across some cool stuff, and one idea always leads to another. For instance, looking at mechanical sketches of a prototype helicopter gave me an idea for an architectural 'bubble' element to add to another scene I have been working on; of course, dinosaurs are always good reference for sketching dragons; Art Deco is fascinating to explore in terms of just plain cool design, which can apply to just about anything; combining Art Deco with pictures of Egyptian jewelry gives me ideas for vehicle/mechanical/spacecraft sketches;
And honestly, who could resist a suit of armour made out of bicycle tires? (see the photos here.)
04/11/14
Dinosaur sketches

04/14/14
Armour sketches
I saw pix of a suit of armour
made out of recycled tires.

04/14/14
Scene thumbnails and
Dragon sketches

04/15/14
Jewelry, mechanical and
pseudo-architectural sketches

No comments: