All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Thursday, May 29, 2008

New painting studies

05/29/08
Finally back at the easel with brush in hand.
Here are a couple new studies.
Doll Face:

Acrylic, 5"x8"
This portrait study is from an awesome photo by:
http://nothingreal0.deviantart.com/
I loved the photo, and as usual I follow my gut. I just knew I had to paint this.
I've been jonesing to paint pale skin in cool light, using a high-chroma underpainting. My goal here is to capture the coolness of the light source, and the paleness of the skin, while still having the face look lifelike.

I used a limited palette; mostly Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Ivory Black, and Gesso for the white; with the addition of Cad Red, Aliz Crimson, and a touch of Ultramarine in some of the bluest blues (but not much!)
The underpainting is Burnt Sienna, with a touch of Cad Red, lightened with Gesso (white.)
Love the expression, the eyes, the lips. Undt those hu-mongous eyelashes.
I haven't added the piercings yet, and there is still much to be done. It's a 'Work-In-Progress.'



Calm, 05/31/08:
I put a glaze of Burnt Umber/Yellow Ochre over the horse to tone down the blue highlights, which became obnoxious as the paint dried.

And this study from a great reference photo by:
http://colourize.deviantart.com/
Calm:

Acrylic, 5"x8"

I wanted to study the light, and the cool colors reflecting off the fur (do horses have 'fur', or is it just 'body hair'?)
Again using a limited palette; Burnt Sienna, Ivory Black, Gesso for white, with Ultramarine, Yellow Ochre in the background, and a touch of Aliz Crimson in places.

No comments: