All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Saturday, May 10, 2008

RotaryFest Sidewalk Art Festival award!!!

Here are pix from the RotaryFest 2008 Sidewalk Art Festival.

There were a lot of really cool pieces by some very good artists. Go to http://www.floridachalkartists.org/ to see more.

I decided to do a piece with the macaws. I wanted to capitalize on the opportunity to paint large, and use intense, saturated colors. I also decided to trust my instinct and the fact that I have drawn these guys enough to be able to compose and render from memory. I brought reference sketches and a couple reference photos just in case, but composed the piece completely out of my head, "on-the-spot".
The piece went through several designs before I settled on doing one large, bold figure. The final piece, a portrait of Sunshine (my favorite scarlet macaw) won Honorable Mention in the "Originality" category.

The sidewalk and my empty square:
Gawd, it was a hot day.
First draft. I was originally going to do a piece with all eight of the new baby macaws from the aviary:
I put down a layer of baby powder as a base. I wound up laying it on too heavy, and it was a mess to work with.
Second draft. I brushed off the baby powder and enlarged the birds:
Third draft. I took a break, sat down and re-thought the piece. I really needed to work large, so I decided on a single bird. Large, bright, and fun. I went with Sunshine.
How appropriate. It was a bright, hot, sunshine-y day.
The final piece:
A detail:

and the award:

I would like to thank the Rotary Club for all their hard work in putting on a great event.
I had a fantastic time. This is only my second sidewalk art event, and I am learning a lot with each new endeavor.
But now, I am tired and sore, I have a shot of Captain Morgan's and a tub full of Mr. Bubble and big plans for both....