All art copyright (c) Mike Kloepfer
"The level of achievement that we have at anything is a reflection of how well we were able to focus on it."
-Steve Vai

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Plein Air Painting in Golden

I had planned to meet the DIS Plein Air Club (affectionately known as Pigment Pandas) in Golden for this paint-out. I spent so much time on the phone getting quotes on the car, that I got there just as the rest of the group were leaving.
Golden, CO in the Fall
No matter, I decided that as long as I made the trip, I was going to make an attempt at a plein air study. It was a beautiful day, and the scenery was wonderful.

Nice spot

An enjoyable afternoon.
I found a good little spot, and enjoyed an afternoon of sunshine, warm weather, and beautiful fall colors.

Plein air painting in progress.
The finished Plein Air study.
Gouache, 9x12"

Golden, looking great in the late afternoon as I left.
The end result was a bit more successful in many small ways than previous plein air studies, and I learned a little along the way. Mostly, I was more direct with my color application, and I was much more satisfied with how that affected the process and the resulting study.

Afterward, I took advantage of the opportunity to visit a dear long-time friend who lives literally just down the hill from the spot where I was painting. It was so good to talk, and catch up. We had a few good laughs - we always shared a unique and dry sense of humor.
All in all, it was an awesome day.
:)

No comments: